Choosing the best tactical gloves for your Prepper tool kit can be a daunting task. It is important to consider all of the requirements that are top for you. Are you looking for a great backup pair for your bug out bag? How about tactical shooting gloves? Maybe some cut resistant tactical gloves or even cold weather tactical gloves? Well you are in luck - to help out with your selection, we've created this buying guide to outline top features and our picks for Prepper Tactical Gloves.
How to choose tactical gloves for your Prepper tool kit
Finding tactical gloves these days is actually pretty easy. Unfortunately given the wide variety of options, the harder task is finding the right pair. Here are some of the key things to consider when selecting your Tactical gloves.
The most important part of the selection process is envisioning the right application for your tactical gloves, which will ultimately lead you to the ideal pair. Do you intend on using the gloves for shooting, protection, bug out bag, cold weather, or even keep around the house for general heavy labor? All of these use cases will lead you to a different glove. Lucky for you we have screened the ideal glove for each situation below!
Putting added fabric on your hands for tactical reasons - shooting, protection, etc can be a life saver in certain situations. Unfortunately if you live in a hot climate or intend to wear your gloves for long periods of time, the added heat can be very uncomfortable. Be sure to make sure your glove can work for your environment - whether it be hot or cold, you can find the ideal pair for your needs.
Padding and protection are must haves for tactical gloves. However be sure to think about how much you really need for your situation. Do you really need hard knuckles or cut resistant fabric? Remember added protection can make things like shooting harder given the added bulk.
Best Overall Tactical Gloves
Mechanix Wear M-Pact Tactical Gloves
- Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR) knuckle guard and finger guards protect against impact.
- Dual-layer internal fingertip reinforcement provides added durability.
- D3O palm padding absorbs and dissipates high-impact energy through the palm.
- Nylon web loop provides convenient storage.
- Machine washable.
The Mechanix Wear M-Pact Tactical Gloves are the best standard tactical gloves on the market today. While they may not have all the bells and whistles that the others on our list feature, they are highly trusted by law enforcement and service members- and rightly so.
The gloves are made of both leather and faux leather to provide enhanced padding in the palm of your hand. The back of the glove is made of a breathable material to keep your hand cool and dry.
Added impact protection rubber on the back of these gloves helps to guard against impact and abrasions in the field. All around the gloves are great all around tactical gloves that will meet most needs, protection, shooting, camping/hiking, etc. The gloves come in multiple colors to suit your needs. Grab a few pairs to keep in your bug out bag, around your house in case of an emergency, or in your car as a great EDC backup pair.
- Designed for shooting – The M-Pact gloves were made with the shooter in mind as they added a unique first knuckle impact guard allows for easy trigger guard entry.
- Durable – Mechanix gloves have a great industry reputation and these gloves certainly live up to the hype. I have personally used mine for hard manual labor around the house (demo, tiling, carpentry, etc.) and they stand up great to any type of use or project you throw their way.
- These are a standard glove that lack some of the unique features of the other gloves reviewed.
Best Tactical Shooting Gloves (fingerless)
FreeToo Heavy Duty
- PERFECT PROTECTION : Reinforced palm and double stitching for heavy duty, protect hands from abrasion.
- SUPERIOR GRIP : dual-layer synthetic leather palm featured by anti-skid gridding for adding grip capabilities.EASE of MOVEMENT : fit sunggly into palm and all fingers, wrap tightly around wrist with...
- BREATHABLE COMFORT : achieved by odor-free breathable materials and functional vent design, comfortable to use in hot weather as well as in mild winter seasons.
- EASE OF MOVEMENT : fit sunggly into palm and all fingers, wrap tightly around wrist with adjustable wrist Velcro, not stiff, not bulky, allow movement and dexterity.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPED：The tactical gloves were developed for police and special operations units to provide between traction and handling for their operation and also used by the masses for...
FreeToo Heavy Duty tactical gloves come in both a full fingered and fingerless version. Our review relates to the fingerless version, which we consider the best shooting gloves for general survival and prepping (or even bow hunting in mild weather).
FreeToo gloves are made from a variety of materials (nylon, spandex, synthetic leather) which provides users with a high degree of protection from abrasion and scratching while also allowing proper breathable comfort that is to be expected.
These gloves fit snug and provide an appropriate level of movement and dexterity making them perfect for shooting, paintball, etc. The material is designed to be breathable which means that they will work well most times of the year, but are not appropriate cold weather tactical gloves.
The palm of the glove is made of two layers of synthetic leather providing a high degree of padding and anti-skid gridding.
- Fit – The fit of these gloves is what makes them stand out from their peers. The nylon material and adjustable wrist band mean that once these gloves are on and broken in, they are very comfortable and almost feel like part of your body.
- FREETOO provides a 3 month warranty on their products and are happy to replace during that window for any reason!
- Knuckles – I have this also listed as a Con, so bear with me while I explain. The knuckles on these gloves are not made from a rock hard piece of composite which some may be looking for (hence the con below). However, I really do appreciate the padded knuckles that come with the glove. As a prepper having that extra layer of padding is appreciated should SHTF!
- Hard Knuckles – It is worth nothing that many online outlets do not sell true hard knuckle gloves. It should be noted that the FreeToo tactical gloves have knuckle padding, not true hard composite material.
Best High End Tactical Gloves
Magpul Core Breach Gloves
- Leather palm with a double layer of digitally textured reinforcement provides better comfort under firearms recoil
- Corded nylon stretch fabric on back of hand with contour cut design and wrapped fingers
- Molded, padded knuckle cap and premium leather for superior impact protection
- Thumb and forefinger “Gun Gusset” designed for better durability and comfort when shooting pistol gripped firearms
- Expansion joints on the back of the fingers allow better flexibility in manipulating firearms triggers and controls
These gloves are made of leather for the palms (provide nice protection for recoil) and corded nylon stretch fabric on the back of the hand (good level of breathability).
The gloves can be a bit on the bulky side, but that is the tradeoff for the high level of protection that these gloves offer. As with other tactical gloves, these come equipped with padded knuckles.
- Touch screen capability – Magpul certainly added all the bells and whistles with these gloves by ensuring touch screen capability with 3 fingers (thumb, index, and middle). This is a great feature to have if you plan on using these regularly (hiking, hunting, riding) and need to be able to grab your phone without taking off your gloves.
- Quality – With a high end glove, this should be expected. The quality of these gloves is very apparent when you try them on. The material is high end and the fit and comfort level is very high.
- I really struggled to find much to say here, but I would say in general with all tactical gloves, they eventually will wear out. That is true for every pair, including these. The point is to find a pair that suits your needs and lasts as long as possible! On the wear and tear, the first feature to wear off of these gloves is the touch screen material. However, that should be expected given the delicate nature of touch screen material and the fact that it is on your fingertips which get a lot of use.
Best Cut Resistant Kevlar Gloves
Youngstown Titan XT Glove
- A heavy duty, high visibility and impact protective performance work glove that is also cut and puncture resistant.
- Every inch of this glove (top, palm, side of fingers) is lined with DuPont Kevlar fiber for increased cut and puncture resistance
- Thick TPR is strategically placed throughout the top of hand to prevent injury yet allows for easy finger movement and articulation
- 5.0mm EVA Foam is sewn into the palm to dampen vibration and impact
- High visibility lime coloring along with 3M Scotchlite on the kncule help enhace visibility in low light applications
The Youngstown Titan XT Glove is not your typical tactical glove. It was designed for rugged, high impact risky work like oil and gas, mining, demolition etc. As such, the glove is lined with Kevlar throughout and designed to provide superior protection for cuts and scratches on all parts of your hand.
For the serious prepper this is a major benefit for self-defense, or any other major disaster that could require digging through sharp materials to help save people (tornado, hurricane, resource run, pandemic, nuclear disaster).
Traditional work gloves are created in flat, two-piece patterns and create an awkward fit that requires the worker to remove the glove from time to time to accomplish simple tasks. The Youngstown Glove pattern features a palm, top, separate thumb piece, and finger side panels, allowing the glove to fit so securely on your hand you'll be able to perform any number of tasks without taking the glove off.
- Protection – These gloves offer serious protection for your hands. They are ANSI/ISEA Cut Level A5 (out of A9) and Puncture Level 4 (out of 5). This means you could literally grab rough metal, blades, etc. with no damage to your hands.
- Superior Fit – Youngstown takes fit to the next level with their multi-dimensional glove design. These gloves have padding in all the right places and reinforced materials to prevent rips and damage.
- Color – The glove was not designed specifically for tactical uses, more heavy duty work. As such, the color of the glove is designed to make it highly visible. Given the other superior features of the glove, we feel the color is a minor issue for tactical purposes.
- Shooting – Since these gloves were designed specifically to protect your hands, some may find them a bit bulky for shooting. They do include padded protection on all fingers, including the trigger finger. This could be an important factor if shooting was your primary use for the gloves.
Added bonus, you can enhance your protection with these level 5 cut resistant sleeves (Hilinker 17 inch sleeves)! This way you can protect not only your hands from cuts but also your forearm, wrist, and elbows.
Best Tactical Gloves for Cold Weather
Youngstown Cold Weather
- An all-purpose winter work glove designed to keep your hands warm, dry and protected in cold, wintery conditions.
- Features 40g 3M Thinsulate, soft micro-fleece liner and a waterproof, windproof and breathable membrane.
- The form-fit outer glove features non-slip reinforcement on the palm, fingers and saddle for excellent grip and durability.
- Warmth varies from person to person. This is a work glove and intended for use when a person is active and has a rising core temperature.
- This glove is not intended for use in heavy rains like a rain jacket is. It is intended for work in temperatures ranging from 45 to 0 F and can deal with snow and ice and keep your hands dry.
Cold weather gloves are very difficult to meet all expectations. Your hands will feel very different if you are up and about moving versus sitting still while hunting.
When searching for the best tactical gloves for cold weather, we biased on the side of improved movement and dexterity and have found the ideal glove for cold conditions!
The Youngstown Cold Weather glove is not only designed for winter conditions, they also feature a triple-layer waterproof technology made from a microfleece inner liner, a 100% waterproof middle layer, and a durable outer shell.
Combined with Thinsulate inside the top of the hand, these gloves really perform well in cold weather conditions - and would be great to keep handy in your car during the winter or with your Prepper gear for a winter storm power outage.
- Designed for the Cold – Everything about these gloves was designed to deal with cold weather and possibly wet conditions. They are heavy duty and very warm if you are moving around. Youngstown thought of everything with these gloves - they even include a terry cloth brow wipe on the top of the thumb! A very useful feature in my experience.
- Grip – Even though the gloves are waterproof and windproof, they took special care to consider the grip in the palm and ensure they are non-slip even when wet on the outside.
- Protection – We prioritized cold weather performance for these gloves, and as such some features of other tactical gloves are simply not available with cold weather gloves. Kevlar, hard knuckles, and other tactical features are simply not available for gloves that can truly perform in cold weather and are waterproof like these Youngstown gloves.
- Shooting – Since these gloves were designed specifically for cold weather, they are probably too bulky for shooting for most people.