The folding saw has long been a staple of avid hikers and campers. Now is the time for Preppers to follow the lead and add the best folding saw to your prepper stash or bug out bag. Perfect for quickly and easily cutting branches or even small logs, the folding saw is lighter and more versatile than a full-sized saw – but packs a similar punch! Check out some of the best folding saws on the market today.
Benefits of a Folding Saw
Folding saws come in all shapes and sizes but share a few common benefits for Preppers.
Versatility – Folding saws are obviously intended to cut through larger branches – however with the variety of blade options and strength and sharpness, you can use a folding saw to cut through nearly anything in a pinch!
Lightweight – With a bug out bag, weight is very important. Luckily, the size and weight of a folding saw are minimal.
Affordable – Unlike high end bowie knives or other cutting tools, folding saws are relatively inexpensive. Given the speed and strength of the blade, they are a real bargain!
Saw Size and Saw Weight
Folding saws are designed to be compact and easy to carry. For hikers and backpackers, weight is incredibly important.
In general, weight has minimal impact on performance. Lighter saws are typically shorter than heavier versions as the blade makes up most of the weight.
Smaller and lighter saws can be small enough to slip into a pocket or bug out bag without noticing a difference.
In general, it makes the most sense for Preppers to consider a blade that is medium size. Too small and it will not really get the job done. Too large and you will find its not as easy to carry around and takes up more space than is necessary.
Number of Teeth and Size of Teeth
Folding saws are graded by the number of teeth per inch (TPI). Applications for different types are listed below. For Preppers, I would recommend a blade with TPI between 6-14 to tackle branches and logs. No need for smooth cuts when SHTF!
- 6-8 TPI – Rough cut, good for most woods
- 10-14 TPI – Fine cut, good for most woods and some plastics
- 16-20 TPI – Very fine cut, good for particleboard, laminate, or plywood
- 14-18 TPI – Smooth cut, good for thin materials or softer metals
- 24 TPI – Smooth cut, good for thin materials or harder metals
- 36 TPI – Very smooth cut, good for very thin materials
How do I clean a blade that’s covered in resin / sap?
The most common question with folding saws – is how do you clean off resin or sap? Anytime that you cut into a live branch there will be some resin released.
A simple way to clean the blade is with a grease fighting dish soap like dawn. Use some hot water and dish soap with a scrub brush.
Note - I only recommend using a long-handled brush to clean the folding saw to avoid nasty cuts.
After cleaning your folding saw, spray it down with a fresh coat of WD-40 to keep it clean and fresh for your next use.
The Best Folding Saw Options
Silky GomBoy Curve Professional Folding Saw
- The GomBoy Curve Professional folding saw is a new and improved version of Silky's #1 selling GomBoy folding saw
- The primary difference is that the blade on this new and improved version is curved
- 210mm Curved Blade with impulse hardened teeth
- Custom hard plastic carrying case included
- Applications include pruning, camping, hiking, and hunting
Introduced in 2016, the curved Silky blade is high quality and absolutely incredible for cutting. With a pull cutting curved blade, the GomBoy has a more aggressive cutting action to improve performance.
Weighing in at only 8 ounces and measuring 17.3 inches long, the GomBoy is a top pick for Preppers and bug out bags. Great for pruning, camping, hiking, or hunting – this blade comes equipped with an improved case to be easily worn on a belt or strap.
Corona RS 7245 Razor Tooth Folding Saw
- 7” blade Ideal for cutting up to 3” diameter branches
- Ergonomically designed co-molded handle covers blade in folded position; with pistol grip to mitigate hand slippage on handle
- Easy to latch blade lock prevents injury
- Blade made of High Carbon Japanese SK5 steel with exceptional hardness and durability for a long-lasting tool
- Blades with up to 6 teeth per inch adds greater opportunities to cut wood limbs on cross-cut
The Corona RS is an affordable option for someone looking for a quality blade at a lower price point. While not the biggest or most heavy duty, this blade is a great option clocking in at 6 TPI.
With a curved blade and pull-back cutting action, this blade works well cutting small to medium sized branches.
The 7 inch blade weighs in at approximately 9 ounces and folds for safe and easy storage. Note, Corona also makes an 8 and 10 inch blade option if you are looking for something bigger.
REXBETI Heavy Duty Folding Saw
- Durable SK-5 steel blade for efficient cutting during camping survival bushcraft landscaping and general yard work
- Heavy duty rugged 11" long blade helps you power through thick branches faster, 11" blade is ideal for cutting 6" - 7" diameter branches
- Aggressive staggered teeth ( 7 TPI ) allows ultra smooth and sharp sawing
- Comfortable and longer rubber coated polymer handle ensures a firm grip in any weather condition
- Extra long design folding saw
The REXBETI blade is another great option at a lower price point. At 11 inches long and 7 TPI, the folding saw blade is great for cutting branches up to 6-7 inches.
With a comfortable rubber coated polymer handle, this blade is a workhorse.
On the downside, the blade is straight and not curved which means that it will cut just a bit slower than a comparable curved blade option. Also with its larger size the blade weighs nearly 15 ounces (on the heavier side for those concerned about weight).
Silky Ultra Accel Professional 240mm Curved Folding Saw
- A folding saw that you can hold on to but works like it's fixed-blade cousins
- Built with a sturdy yet lightweight aluminum chassis, the Silky Ultra Accel with 240-mm curved blade features an easy-grip rubberized handle
- The legendary cutting ability of Silky and the engineered smoothness that is synonymous with the name are all included-as you would expect
- 9.5 inch (240-mm) blade length - Large teeth, 6.4 teeth per inch configuration
- Curved blade for maximum speed & efficiency
Silky folding saws are in a league of their own. This curved blade comes in at approximately 9.5 inches and weighs just 10 ounces. With approximately 6 TPI, this blade is a beast on branches up to 5/6 inches.
Using a special high frequency heating technique, teeth are heated instantly & hardened. The remainder of the blade is unchanged & retains its normal flexibility. Hardened teeth are harder & stay sharp about three times longer than non-hardened teeth.
Consider this blade a great option for someone looking to add a high-quality blade to their stash from a very reputable brand.
Fiskers 7 Inch Folding Saw
- Ideal for cutting thick branches
- Fully-hardened, precision-ground steel blade stays sharp, even through heavy use
- Blade folds into handle for convenient storage and transport
- Blade locks in the folded and unfolded positions for safety
- Lifetime warranty
Anyone looking for a great entry level folding saw, look no further. Fiskars has a great 7 inch option weighing in at approximately 5 ounces.
The fully hardened steel blade folds nicely into a locked position for use. Non-slip grip helps to maintain control while cutting medium sized branches quickly.
Folding Saw – A Must Have For Your Emergency Prepper Stash
In most any emergency situation, a quality folding saw can be very useful. Consider investing in a high quality blade to keep in your Prepper stash or with your bug out bag.
The Silky GomBoy is a great option for anyone looking for a high quality blade.