12 EDC Items for Every Prepper to Consider!
Everyday carry (EDC) refers to the few items that you carry with you on a daily basis - typically those items most essential to your daily. Must have EDC items include things like - wallet, phone, house keys, etc.
What if you want to be prepared for an emergency? What should you always have with you, just in case? Everyday carry items must include items that can handle all of life’s little occurrences and the should also include gear you need to deal with a big emergency.
But what should be considered everyday carry essentials? There are so many useful tools and pieces of equipment that we'd like to have at all times, but this just isn't practical. Unfortunately, this means picking and choosing individual edc items carefully and intentionally. With so many different everyday carry items, where does one start?
Creating your EDC list
Before you go out and buy any new EDC items you might need, you should take the time to figure out exactly what will be useful in your life and what might be a waste of resources. A good way to think about how you might organize a list of EDC gear is to consider these two groups:
- Items you carry on your person
- Items you carry in in a backpack
If you think about your EDC kit in these two categories, it can be a bit easier to understand what you might want to have with you at all times.
Another thing to keep in mind when deciding what gear you need is to consider where you spend most of your time. Do you go on a lot of wilderness hikes? Do you work in a busy urban environment where crime is an issue? Or, do you live in a rural community where help may be a long way away? Where you live, work, and recreate will have a big effect on what you choose to carry with you.
Local laws and regulations might also determine what you can and can’t carry with you. Some states and countries don’t allow certain types of firearms or have strict regulations on knife blades, sizes, and action mechanisms. There’s no point in buying a piece of EDC kit if it’s illegal and you’re not allowed to have it.
Everyday Carry items to carry With You!
These are the items you have on your person (i.e. in your pockets) at all times. Items in this list are absolute essentials that you need readily accessible, regardless of the circumstances. For most of these items, being small, compact, and easily portable is key. If it’s too bulky or too heavy, you won’t want to carry it, so keep this in mind.
1) Cell Phone (obvious these days)
Most of us carry a cell phone around with us at all times and many of us couldn’t imagine life without it. Although being able to post pictures and send a tweet from nearly anywhere is really a luxury, being able to make a phone call in an emergency can be a matter of life or death. A reliable phone with good service in a sturdy, waterproof case can make a huge difference.
2) EDC Wallet
A wallet is critical for a number of reasons. For starters, a wallet carries important identification items, like your driver’s license. This can be incredibly important if you were to get into an accident and first responders needed to identify you to get in contact with your family.
But, what else should be in your wallet? A copy of your health insurance card and a small card listing any pertinent health information are also good ideas. Cash and a credit card or debit card are also important for food and drinks on the go, or for paying that taxi or bus fare when you just need to get home at the end of the day.
A slim wallet with RFID protection that fits discreetly into pants pockets is the perfect choice for your EDC kit.
3) EDC Multi-tool
A good multi-tool can solve problems you can’t even anticipate. From tightening a loose screw to opening a can, a solid multi-tool is critical for day to day use. The best multi-tools have an assortment of useful tools without being too bulky or heavy - this is key!
We like the 12-part Suspension multi-tool from Gerber because it is strong, lightweight, and durable. This multi-tool comes with a selection of blades for fine-tune cutting and heavy-duty saw jobs. The best part of this tool? Definitely the pliers, which are spring loaded and slimmed down to work in the tightest of spots. It even comes with its own nylon sheath for easy carry and can be combined with a number of separate toolkits for added functionality.
- Suspension Multi-Plier multitool with 12 integrated components
- Saf.T.Plus component locking system guarantees safety
- Lightweight open-frame stainless steel handle
- Includes a ballistic nylon sheath
- Weighs 9.6 oz; Closed Length: 4 inches; limited lifetime warranty
4) Tactical Pen / EDC Pen
What is a tactical pen, you ask? Models vary, but it's essentially a heavy-duty metal pen built for self-defense and survival. Many tactical pens come with built-in glass breakers and flashlights, too.
We like the Smith & Wesson Tactical Pen because it's built with your self-defense in mind. It's small enough to fit neatly in a pocket but is made with solid aircraft aluminum, so it won't rust or fail when you need it most. This pen is simple with a hard point and screw top, but works great as an EDC and possible self defense tool. Oh, and it writes well, too.
- DIMENSIONS: 5.7 inch (14.5 cm) overall length and a weight of 1.4 ounces
- DURABLE: Pen is made of reliable T6061 Aircraft Aluminum
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient pocket clip and screw-off top making it ideal for everyday carry
- SECURE: Have confidence that this tool will perform when needed for self-defense and blend in when not in use
- BE PREPARED: Pen can be refilled with Schmidt P900M Parker Style Black Ball Point Cartridges
5) EDC Knife
There's no questioning the functionality of a knife. The original EDC carry item, a knife can be used for everything from opening packages to self-defense. A solid folding knife that you can open with one hand is a great go-to for everyday use.
But with so many options out there, how can you be sure that you’re getting the best EDC pocket knife? Our top choice - this option from Grand Way. Built to last with 440C stainless steel blade, this knife from Grand Way is great for everyday use. The folding knife has an easy, one-handed spring-assisted deployment and locks securely in place. At the low price point, its an easy decision to make for beginners.
- Knife with folding spring assisted opening blade and pocket clip has a simple and reliable liner-lock that is resistant to dirt and prevents unexpected closure. Equipped with the thumb studs for right...
- Perfect tactical knife for everything - Camping Edc Hiking Backpack Bushcrafting, Hunting & Fishing, Military & Army needs, Outdoor & DIY Activities, Survival, Self Defense, Emergencies.
- Black coated 440C stainless steel - excellent balance of hardness and corrosion resistance ensures proper operation without sharpening. Provides razor sharp cutting performance and high durability.
- Black folding knife is made of durable 440 C stainless steel, blade coating - black oxide. Handle material - aluminum. Clip is available. Blade length - 3.42''. Total length - 7.75''.
- Perfect gift idea - gifts for husband from wife, proving hugely popular as dad gifts, gifts for men, brother, college gifts for guys and even father in law gifts, perfect gift for Christmas,...
6) Paracord Bracelet
Paracord has an endless list of uses. Whether you need to replace a shoelace or makeshift a splint for a broken bone, light, and strong paracord will come in handy. However, carrying hundreds of feet of paracord isn't terribly practical. Luckily, there are a number of great paracord bracelets that let you carry around a sizeable amount of cord in a sleek and stylish manner.
We love this fantastic set up from Diroca Outdoor which combines 12 feet of reflective and ultra-durable paracord with a host of other accessories. This amazing piece of EDC kit even contains a small, hidden plastic tube on the inside of the bracelet that holds fishing line and hooks, alcohol pads, fishing sinkers, safety pins, a whistle, and tinder. What’s not to love?
Be sure to check out our Top Paracord Bracelets for Preppers here for additional options.
EDC items to carry in a backpack
Unfortunately, we can’t hold all of our everyday carry items in our pockets or on our person. Thankfully we can always carry a handful of important items around in a backpack so we never have to do without them. Your EDC backpack list should contain a number of key items.
7) Tactical Backpack / EDC Backpack
If you plan to carry some EDC items in a backpack, you’ll want to make sure you get a good pack to put everything in. This great pack from 5.11 is compact, yet comfortable and spacious enough to carry what you need. The pack's quick stash pocket and exterior webbing help keep everything organized, too, so you can access what you need when you need it. Be sure to check out other tactical backpack options where we review the top 7.
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION - Constructed from high-grade 1050D nylon, this bag features a lightweight yet extremely durable construction. Its water-resistant surface prevents moisture and water from...
- ORGANIZED STORAGE - This pack comes with spacious compartments and multiple pockets that keep your belongings organized to avoid misplacement of essential items. A dedicated admin panel ensures quick...
- COVERT TACTEC POCKET - Equipped with a covert pocket at the rear to provide secure storage for your sidearm. Ideal when carrying a concealed carry, you can quickly draw your weapon and respond to an...
- ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAP - This bag is designed for people who are always on the go. The shoulder strap can be adjusted to create your desired length while its cushioned panel reduces strain on the...
- TRUSTED BRAND - Developed with quality in mind, 5.11 Tactical offers a wide range of products that includes shirts, pants, bags, accessories, and more. Defining their brand through challenge and...
8) EDC Flashlight / Tactical Flashlight
No one wants to be left in the dark and a solid, reliable flashlight can ensure just that. This small, palm-sized tactical flashlight from Fenix (the FX-PD35 Tactical) packs 1000 Lumens of light into a durable frame and is one of the best EDC flashlights on the market. A digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness in this flashlight and you can switch it between a number of settings. With this super portable flashlight, you’ll never be without light when you need it most. Field tested, the Fenix PD-35 is no joke! Check out our review of the Fenix PD-35.
- 6 output modes up to 1000 lumens
- Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum; Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
- IPX-8 Standard Rating: 2 meters/6.5 feet for 30 minutes
- Maximum distance: 656 feet/200 meters; Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
- Weights only 3.1 oz/89-gram (excluding the battery)
9) Thermal Blanket
Thermal Blankets are a great way to keep someone warm after an injury or if you get stranded outside. They’re lightweight, compact, and made of advanced aluminum mylar, which is designed to reflect heat in an emergency survival situation. Thermal bags from Anmeilu can help prevent hypothermia and shock by reflecting and retaining most of a user’s body heat.
- Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets - Emergency Blanket,Space Blanket,Thermal Blanket,Mylar Blanket,Survival Blanket.Our durable advanced aluminized Mylar blankets are perfect for civilian bug out bags,...
- Space Blanket Survival kit Camping Blanket (Pack of 6)- Each survival blanket is individually folded, wrapped, and sealed for easy storage and retrieval. They are reusable, waterproof and windproof...
- EMERGENCY USE - Perfect for emergency situations where warmth or protection from all-weather conditions is required. Helps prevent hypothermia and shock by retaining/reflecting up to 90% of a user's...
- Manufactured from the best Weatherproof Material : Waterproof and weatherproof foil and Mylar emergency thermal blanket for retaining or deflecting heat. Mylar insert provides insulation and the foil...
- Provides compact emergency protection in all weather conditions: Perfect for camping trips and sporting events. uses are nearly limitless: use as tent footprint, backpack cover, rain poncho, emergency...
10) Waterproof Matches
A good set of waterproof matches is one of the most important things on your EDC bag list. The ability to create a fire can mean the difference between a very cold night stuck outside and a decent night's sleep. With this set of stormproof matches from UCO, you can be sure that you’ll always be able to get a match lit. They’re kept in a handy waterproof, durable case that floats and keeps contents dry in any conditions. A perfect accompaniment to your EDC list.
- Includes 25 windproof and waterproof matches, 3 strikers and match case that can hold up to 40 matches
- Matches are easy to light, will burn up to 15 seconds each and will relight after being submerged in water
- Waterproof, durable ABS plastic case floats and keeps contents dry and protected; external, integrated, and replaceable striker for easy lighting
- Extended length of match allows for added safety to keep from burning fingertips
- Length of matches: 2.75 inches (7 cm); Kit weight: 1.7 oz. (48 g)
11) Water Treatment
Dirty water, and the bacteria and viruses it contains, is one of the top killers of people around the world. Although we're lucky in the United States to have relatively clean water supplies in cities and towns, if you're out on a hike or traveling in some countries, you'll want to treat your water before you drink it.
There are many ways to treat your water, but one of the quickest and most convenient is to use a germicidal tablet, like these from Potable Aqua. A Potable Aqua water treatment container holds 50 purification tablets and makes questionable water ready to drink in just 30 minutes. These tablets are great for hiking and camping trips, natural disasters, traveling, and whenever you might not have access to clean water.
- One bottle of 50 Potable Aqua Germicidal Water Purification Tablets
- Makes questionable water bacteriologically suitable to drink within 35 minutes
- Emergency water purification tablets effective against Giardia lamblia when used as directed
- Water purification for camping, hiking, international travel and natural disasters
- Portable water treatment tablets used by military and emergency organizations worldwide
12) EDC First Aid Kit
First aid kits are invaluable in an emergency situation. Whether someone is suffering from major trauma and you need lots of bandages or someone just needs a couple of Advil, a well-stocked first aid kit can come in handy in so many different situations.
This first aid kit from Aootek is specially designed for survival whether at home, work, or out on an adventure. In addition to a host of medical supplies, the kit comes with a number of other survival essentials, like a multitool, fire starter, multipurpose flashlight, and a fishing kit. It is always nice to have an extra backup with you just in case!
All Preppers Should Consider some Everyday Carry Essentials!
At the end of the day, what you choose to put in your EDC kit will be determined by your various life circumstances and needs. However, the items listed above are absolute minimums for every day carry and should not be overlooked. They are multi-purpose and invaluable items that can come in handy in nearly any situation you encounter.
- 【High-Quality Tool Organizers】Use 500D polyester, durable, wear-resistant, dirt-resistant and tear-resistant. The inside of the fabric is PVC wear-resistant coating, storage gears and protect...
- 【Tool pocket sheath】 The oblique pocket design can store at least 3 tools, eg: mini flashlight, pocket knife, and tactical pen. The large pocket at the top usually holds a 3.5''*5.5'' notebook or...
- 【EDC Organizer for Daily】 Separate pocket design, effectively organize tools and prevent tools from scratching in the pocket. Put all your gears in different pockets, perfect storage, plenty of...
- 【Multifunctional EDC Pouch】 550 paracord is used to connect strap, it can be a shoulder tool bag. You can also put it in your pocket as a pocket organizer. Can be used as a coins/cards purse,...
- 【Best Pocket Organizer as a Gift】 Great gift for your friends to keep their pocket organized. High quality EDC organizer is the best choice for mens, your father, your boyfriend, your husband,...
- Silicone Rubber Casing
- Battery: Lithium Polymer, 220mAh - 2 Hour Charge Time
- Power: .81Wh, 3.7V USB Rechargeable (cable included)
- Button activated / Push-to-open cover / Locking mechanism
- Water and windproof plasma / Built-in short circuit protection
- The tactical desert shemagh scarf is made of cotton, high quality woven material, not printed.
- Thick and soft material protects your head and neck from sun, sand, wind and dust. Great to use for hunting, shooting, hiking, climbing, motorcycle, and paintball game.
- Hand or machine wash, line dry.
- Lightweight, net weight: 6.35oz. Size: 43 x 41 inch.
- ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
- MORE THAN JUST A CABLE - The CableKit includes an adapter to charge other devices and a SIM card eject tool. (It’s not a toothpick but we won’t judge;) There’s even a compartment to hold micro...
- EASY TO CARRY TO CHARGE AND SYNC ON THE GO - Never be without your cable again. The protective carry case protects the ends of your cable and can attach to your keys or clip to pockets or bags. It’s...
- NO MORE BROKEN CABLE ENDS - The durable unibody TPE design means there’s no junction between cable and connector so it won’t rip like standard cables.
- FAST CHARGING / DATA TRANSFER - Use with any fast charge power source to quickly charge your phone. The 26AWG power wires deliver up to 10A of current. Quickly sync and transfer images, videos, music...
- CHOOSE THE CONNECTORS YOU NEED - The CableKit comes in four different configurations of cable and adapter. This listing includes the iPhone compatible cable with USB-C adapter. If you need different...