If you ask most people what they’d want in an emergency survival kit, they’d probably say that they want food, water, and medical supplies. While these pieces of gear are invaluable in a wide range of situations, even the most dedicated of Preppers generally forget one crucial piece of survival kit - the emergency binder (or sometimes called the bug out binder).
The emergency binder is one of the most overlooked pieces of survival gear but it can make a huge difference in your ability to deal with an emergency if you need to quickly evacuate your home.
Unfortunately, most people don’t know what an emergency binder is nor what should be inside it. Luckily, we’re here to walk you through the ins-and-outs of emergency binder preparedness. That way in case of an emergency, you have all you need in an easy grab and go binder!
What is an emergency binder?
At this point, you might be asking yourself, “What is an emergency binder?”
Turns out, it’s actually quite simple - an emergency binder contains copies of all your important documents, like your ID, passport, and health insurance information.
Also called an emergency documents binder, this nifty resource keeps all of your important documents in one place, so you can access them quickly and efficiently.
An emergency binder should be part of your survival kit close to your bug out bag, or stored in a safe place.
Why you need an emergency documents binder
Although they’re quite simple, emergency binders are incredibly important in any situation where you need to quickly evacuate your home.
Particularly if your home is threatened by a natural disaster (think hurricane, wildfire, flood, etc.), there’s a chance that your personal possessions may not survive. While our number one priority is always the safety of ourselves, our family, and our friends, the loss of material goods is still difficult.
Although we can replace much, there are some things that we can’t risk losing, including our important documents.
Imagine this: one day your local authorities tell you that you have less than an hour to evacuate your home. A wildfire is rapidly approaching and devastation is inevitable. You load your family and pets into your car and drive off to a safe location. All good, right?
Well, not quite. Within a half hour of driving away, you notice that you forgot your wallet, which contains your ID and health insurance card. No big deal, you’ll sort it out once it’s all over, you say to yourself, and you manage just fine without it.
After a few weeks, though, you’re allowed to return to your home to survey the damage and make an insurance claim. Unfortunately, your proof of homeowner’s insurance and all your other important documents went up in flames.
Now, if you had an emergency binder with copies of all these documents in your bug out bag, this wouldn’t be a problem. Instead of worrying about how you’ll prove that you even had fire insurance, you can get right to making a claim and restarting your life.
If you think this is all a bit far-fetched, then consider what happened after Hurricane Katrina. Millions of people evacuated their homes and left behind their possessions to take refuge in emergency shelters.
Countless people left their homes without grabbing their ID or other documents. Thus, they had no way of proving their identity, accessing their bank accounts, or proving they had health insurance.
Important aspects of an emergency binder
Now that you understand why you need an emergency binder, let’s get right to discussing what should go in it.
Having your important documents organized and all in one place isn’t terribly helpful if they get soaked in a flood or destroyed in a fire. It’s important to have a durable and easy to carry case for your emergency binder. There are many options available on the market, but we recommend these three:
Avlone Fireproof and Waterproof Bag
- WHILE OTHER FIREPROOF DOCUMENT BAGS won’t survive a real fire, smell like chemicals or they are just very flimsy ripping apart easily, the Avlone Fireproof Bag has been TESTED & PASSED the 1000° F...
- YOU ARE ENTERING A STRESS-FREE ZONE – You want to SAFELY STORE all your important documents at home, TRAVEL with peace of mind regarding your passports & insurances or just PROTECT all your jewelry,...
- OUR MISSION IS TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASY & SAFE – We are a family-owned business based in New York and we use our home & office products every day. That’s why our large fireproof bags feature...
- VISIBLE IN THE DARK – Unlike classical document envelopes, Avlone Safe Fire Proof Bag can be easily found in the dark. In case of emergency, the unique reflective band of the fire proof document bag...
- YOU DESERVE ONLY THE BEST! We pride ourselves on providing only HEAVY-DUTY products with LIFETIME Guarantee and amazing UNITED STATES based customer support for our community of American families. We...
This bag from Avlone provides both fire and water protection for your important documents. It features a double closure for the perfect seal, so you can rest assured that your documents will be okay. Plus, it’s got plenty of storage space (15 x 11 x 2.5 inch) and has a carry handle for quickly grabbing on-the-go.
Good Stuff Fireproof Bag
- PROTECT IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS - Could you imagine losing not only your home in a fire, but your most important life documents along with it? So much of our lives are tied up in very important, yet...
- RESISTANT TO FIRE UP TO 2000℉ - According to Fire 9 Prevention, an average house fire ranges between 1500℉ to 1800℉. A fireproof document bag should keep documents safe from these external...
- SUPERIOR FIREPROOF DESIGN - Don't settle for a cheap fireproof document bag that could jeopardize your life's most important documents. Other fire proof bags on the market aren't waterproof, have a...
- MADE TO PROTECT - Our fireproof document bags have an ultra-strength, reinforced zipper ensuring no external conditions reach your documents. Waterproof silicone coating protects documents from water...
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - Buy with confidence. If you decide our fireproof document bags aren’t for you, you can return the fireproof bags for a full refund within the first 30 days. You can send...
The Good Stuff Fireproof Bag provides the ultimate protection for your documents (15 x 11 inch). Designed to be both fire and water proof and able to withstand a fire as hot as 2000°F, this bag from Good Stuff is no joke when it comes to protecting your documents.
Kofair Fireproof Bag
- [SILICONE COATED - FIREPROOF & WATER RESISTANT]: With Dual-layered FIBERGLASS, our Fireproof Safe Bag can withstand temperatures as high as 2000 °F (SGS Test Certified), which means SAFER - 1000 °F...
- [100% USABLE SPACE: 16" x 12" x 5.5" + FOLDABLE DESIGN]: With 100% OPENING Design, we offer MORE USABLE SPACE than most of other bags. You can safely stow MORE VALUABLES, like money, jewelry,...
- [LOCKABLE ZIPPER + WIDER HOOK & LOOP CLOSURE]: The BRAND ZIPPER can be LOCKED together with a combination lock for additional safety (Lock is not included). Meanwhile, the width of the HOOK & LOOP...
- [SOFT & RELIABLE HANDLE + ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAP]: Kofair Fireproof Document Bag is engineered for rough handling to survive fires, and perform RELIABLY in all emergency conditions. Thanks to the...
- [LIFE TIME CUSTOMER SERVICE & 100% REFUND]: If you have any issue about your premium quality fireproof document bag, please feel free to contact us. We promise to arrange a replacement or 100% REFUND...
The Kofair document bag is the largest of the three (16 x 12 x 5.5 inch) and includes a handy shoulder strap in addition to the standard handle. Able to resist heat up to 2000°F, this bag is ideal for those with lots of information that you need to keep readily available. With 5 inches of width, this bag is ideal for those looking to store 3 ring binders in a fire resistant bag.
Emergency Binder Checklist
Once you get your binder, now it’s time to decide what you’ll put in it. Unfortunately, you can’t take everything, so it’s critical that you have your most important documents with you in this bag.
Here’s what we recommend keeping copies of in your binder. For me personally, I also store originals in a fireproof safe that is not easy to reach during an emergency.
Personal and Legal Documents
- Driver’s License/ID cards
- Birth certificates
- Social Security cards
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce papers
- Life and Health Insurance policy information
- Wills, trusts, and other legal documents
- Military documents
- Bank account information and contact information (put summary info on a handy 1 page sheet with other financial info)
- Credit card numbers and contact information (same)
- Mortgage documents and deed (same)
- Homeowner’s/Renter’s insurance (same)
- Recent home appraisal (same)
- Recent tax returns (keep a copy of 7 years in a secure place and keep the last 2-3 in your emergency binder)
- Medical records and blood types (only important documents, not every bill!)
- Prescription information
- Medical insurance card
- Immunization records
- Pet medical records including immunizations
- Current individual portraits (for identification purposes)
- Child custody information (if applicable)
- Firearm registration and serial numbers
- University degrees (not required)
- School transcripts (not required)
- Titles of each vehicle
- Records of repairs and maintenance
- Auto insurance policy and contact information
Contact Information (create a handy 1 page sheet with this information)
- Family, friends, neighbors
- Doctors, dentists, veterinarians
- Insurance companies
- Fire, ambulance, police
- Poison control, Red Cross
It’s important to remember that you’ll need documents for every member of your family. Plus, you only need to have copies of these items in your emergency binder.
You can keep the originals in a separate fireproof box, so you’ll always have either the copies or the originals in an emergency.
However, one thing you might want to consider having the originals of is your passports, just in case you need to leave the country.
You could also consider having documents on an encrypted USB flash drive, but this is no replacement for physical copies, especially during a blackout.
How to safely store an emergency binder
Once you have all of your documents collected in one place, you’ll need somewhere to store them. In addition to having your documents in a fireproof and waterproof bag, you might consider placing them in a fireproof safe.
A fireproof safe offers yet another layer of fire protection and keeps your documents protected during a robbery.
It's also worth considering keeping two emergency binders, just in case you can't get to your home before needing to evacuate. Your car is a decent option but does come with a bit of a higher risk of being stolen, I would not recommend this but some would.
You could also consider opening a safe deposit box. That way, if your home is destroyed, you might still be able to access your documents elsewhere. It's worth noting that these are not FDIC insured, so be sure to only keep copies in a safe deposit box, just in case.
At this point, you should have a good idea of what to look for when creating your emergency binder. Be sure to create one that’s fireproof, waterproof, and portable, so you’ll never have to go without it.
- FIREPROOF & WATER RESISTANT:Fireproof document bags are made of high quality non-itchy silicone coated fiberglass which stands up the temperature up to 1832℉（1000℃）.It will keep your values...
- ULTRA SAFE PROTECTION:With the large capacity of 13.4 * 9.4 inches, fireproof document bag can keep most of your most valuable items including passports, licenses, USBs disks and CDs deeds,...
- ZIPPER CLOSURE PROTECTION:Fireproof zipper adds storage security and carrying safety .Money bag with zipper is ideal for office or home .Combining a fireproof bag and fireproof safe box together is...
- CASUAL DESIGN FOR DAILY LIFE - with a hanging trap, fireproof money pouch is convenient accessory for you no matter at home or on office, portable and can be easily folded, you can use it anytime and...
- TRUSTED AFTER SALES SERVICE :Ready to respond within a 24 hour time ,2 years after sales service.If you have any issue ,you will get the replacement or a full refund
- 【FIRE PROOF & WATER RESISTANT BAG】: With high quality FIBERGLASS, our fireproof document bags can easily stand temperatures as high as 2000°F (SGS TEST: UL94 VTM-0 Certified). Meantime, two...
- 【NON-ITCHY SILICONE COATING&EASY TO CARRY BAG】:ROLOWAY fireproof money bags are coated with high tech NON-ITCHY SILICONE on fiberglass cloth.That means, you don't need gloves. With handle &...
- 【EXTRA LARGE CAPACITY & FOLDABLE BAG】: With a XL capacity of expanded dimension: 16" x 12"x 5", you can put ANY VALUABLES in the fireproof folder bag, like cash, jewelry, passports, documents,...
- 【ZIPPER & HOOK & LOOP CLOSURE】: DOUBLE closure - both ZIPPER and HOOK & LOOP, seams are reinforced and stitched to a tight pattern on every fireproof bag. Plus the strap, all is to keep your...
- 【LIFE TIME CUSTOMER SERVICE】: If you have any issue about fireproof bag, feel free to contact us. We promise to arrange a replacement or money back. No worries at all. Our customer service will...
- 【FIRE PROOF & WATER RESISTANT BAG】: With double layered FIBERGLASS, our fireproof safe bag can withstand temperatures as high as 2000°F (SGS TEST: UL94 VTM-0 Certified). Meantime, the SILICONE...
- 【Upgraded Capacity - JUMBO LARGE DIMENSION: 17" x 12"x 5.8"】: With 30% more capacity, you can safely stow MORE VALUABLES, like money, jewelry, laptop, passport, birth certificate, files, documents...
- 【Upgraded Security - BRAND LOCKABLE ZIPPER & WIDER HOOK & LOOP CLOSURE】: BRAND ZIPPER means the highest quality, also, the UPGRADED ZIPPER can be LOCKED together with a combination lock for...
- 【NON-ITCHY & DURABLE SAFE BAG】: Our fire safe document bag is coated with high tech NON-ITCHY SILICONE. You don't need gloves to get your valuables in and out. With all the HIGH QUALITY materials...
- 【LIFE TIME CUSTOMER SERVICE】: If you have any issue about your premium quality fireproof document bag, feel free to contact us. We promise to arrange a replacement or 100% money back quickly. No...