Real talk here – the Coronavirus threat and our government’s reactions are getting real – real fast! As a Prepper you have already contemplated times like this and likely prepared. You have freeze dried food in your home – ideally enough for 30+ days, water storage for a week, OTC medication, emergency cash, and tons of other prepper items to keep your family safe. Now that travel bans are being issued and quarantines instituted, what should a Prepper do?
Imagine yourself stuck in your home for weeks and possibly a month or two. Granted we will probably have the option to leave a get food (like in Italy), but do you really want to if you don’t need to? I would advise everyone think about their limiting factors during an extended stay and let’s find the most cost-effective way to be prepared.
Most of the standard supplies we would recommend are either sold out online or the prices have increased to ridiculous amounts!
Food For Your Family
My go to food prep is the Augason Farms 30-day bucket. It’s effective, lasts for up to 30 years, stores very easily in my closet, and up until now was very cost effective! With the Coronavirus outbreak, others have gotten wise and either the buckets are sold out, or they are priced at a crazy level (Augason Farms 30-day Bucket).
I would NOT recommend buying these buckets until things get back to normal and the prices go down. For now you don’t need food that can last 30 years, you need food to possibly last through spring or summer.
Here is how I would suggest you consider your food preps.
Immediate Food in the Pantry and Fridge (2 weeks) – Eat this first
Keep buying your groceries like you normally would. Buy your eggs, milk, bread, fruits and veggies and other normal perishable items as if it was a normal week. This should be your go-to food while things are still functioning.
I would envision your normal weekly groceries covering about a week’s worth of eating, then possibly another week when you clean out the freezer and pantry.
Food in the Back Closet (1-2 weeks) – Eat this next
Given that things may be a bit crazy for weeks or months, I would advise you to immediately get some groceries that last longer and are nutrient dense. Think about things like peanut butter, beans, rice, apple sauce, pasta and sauce.
Food items that your family certainly uses, but you could put in a back closet for weeks or months in case you really need them. I would target stockpiling a few weeks worth of this food as quickly as you can.
Survival Food in the Closet (4 weeks) – Eat this last!
Finally, to the Prepper staple – the MRE or freeze dried food. As mentioned, all Preppers should already have some of this, but if you find yourself without – I would consider buying what you can to cover your family in case things get really bad.
The 30-day bucket is out of the question given the price, so what are the other options?
Consider buying smaller package 10 cans instead. These come in a wide variety of food and flavor options as well as brands. It will take more work to put together a selection that provides quality nutrition while also tasting okay enough to keep up moral. I would add the following as an alternative to the 30-day bucket - go pick your favorite foods of course. Consider meal planning to an extent and plan for approximately 2,000 calories per day for each person.
- 47 servings
- 7,990 calories
- Certified gluten-free
- Spicy rice, beans, and chicken seasoned with tomato, peppers and olives.
- Just Add Water. Quick Prep: Less Than 10 Minutes. No Cleanup.
- Ten 1-Cup Servings
- 617 servings
- 17 food varieties
- 66, 320 total calories
In a pandemic type scenario, water security is of less concern than food. The water should still flow and be okay to drink, Unless somehow the plant went down or the power was out for an extended period of time or course.
5-7 Gallon Storage
I would normally recommend that everyone use large 5-7 gallon storage containers to keep enough water for everyone in the house for a week (1 gallon per person per day – plus a little extra for good measure). For my family of 5, I have 5 containers that each hold 7 gallons. Prices for these have gone up too much though, so let's think about what else we could use.
Emergency Bathtub Storage
In addition, I would advise Preppers to also have the bathtub water storage options to secure 100+ gallons right before things get really bad. This is more applicable for hurricanes or something major that you can see coming ahead of time. Not completely applicable in this case, but not bad to consider keeping handy.
Unfortunately, with the Coronavirus scare, these items are both either sold out or priced way higher than they were a few weeks ago. Here is what I would suggest buying as alternatives to keep your water secure during a quarantine or bug in type situation.
Other Water Purification Options
In addition to good old fashion boiling, I would suggest everyone have at least 1 alternative way to filter and purify their drinking water. Who knows if the power or gas may be out for some time. It’s best to always have a back up.
- Proven protection against bacteria and protozoan cysts down to 0.2 micron with pleated glass-fiber filter media
- Activated carbon in the core of the filter improves the taste and reduces chemicals in your drinking water
- The field cleanable filter protector screen extends the life of the cartridge in challenging conditions
- One bottle of 50 Potable Aqua Germicidal Water Purification Tablets with one bottle of 50 PA Plus
- Makes contaminated water bacteriologically suitable to drink within 35 minutes. For use only when drinking water is of questionable quality.
- Effective against bacteria and Giardia lamblia
- INCLUDES the Following: A BPA-free Berkey Sport Bottle, which is a light-weight bottle great for long hikes or extended exercise
- A stainless steel Go Berkey, made of high-quality AISI 304 stainless steel polished to a high luster
- A Black Berkey filter, which is the Go Berkey water filter that powerfully purifies contaminated water
Preppers and people with kids in the house, should always have a ready stock of OTC medications to dispense as required. We have found your OTC stash to be incredibly valuable and in the case of Benadryl it could be nearly life saving for allergic reactions.
Lucky for us, there is still a ready supply of OTC medications available these days. If you have a prescription – I would consider trying to get extra to have as much at home as possible.
With Coronavirus, you should prepare as if everyone in your household is going to get sick at some point. You could go out and get supplies then, but why risk it. Buy what you need now and have a supply just in case. I promise you will use them at some time, so nothing will go to waste.
In my state you must buy Sudafed from a pharmacy - get some of that while you can and consider adding the following as well.
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Amazon Basic Care Ibuprofen Tablets 200 mg contain ibuprofen 200 mg, a pain reliever/fever reducer (NSAID); compare to the active ingredient in Advil
- PAIN RELIEVER/FEVER REDUCER (NSAID) provides proven pain relief without a prescription for tough pain such as muscular aches, minor arthritis pain, toothache, backache, menstrual cramps or minor aches...
- STRONG RELIEF: Amazon Basic Care Ibuprofen Tablets 200 mg are strong on tough pain to help you get the relief you need to keep going; no prescription needed for this pain reliever and fever reducer
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH COLD & FLU RELIEF. DayQuil/NyQuil SEVERE delivers maximum symptom-fighting ingredients to relieve your worst cold & flu symptoms, such as cough, sore throat, fever, and congestion,...
- SMALLEST BRANDED, 4-ACTIVE, MAXIMUM STRENGTH DAYTIME LIQUICAPS. DayQuil SEVERE offers non-drowsy relief of your cold and flu symptoms, so you can power through your day. Guaifenesin helps Loosen...
- OUR SMALLEST MOST POWERFUL NIGHTTIME LIQUICAP. NyQuil SEVERE relieves your sneezing, sore throat, headache, minor aches & pains, fever, runny nose, and cough, so you can get the rest you need
In addition to medications - make sure you have quality fluids with electrolytes!
- Don’t count the days. Make the days count. Grab your home workout equipment then refuel and replenish during your at-home workout with the carbs and electrolytes from Gatorade Thirst Quencher.
- When you sweat, you lose more than water. Gatorade Thirst Quencher contains critical electrolytes to help replace what's lost in sweat.
- Top off your fuel stores with carbohydrate energy, your body's preferred source of fuel.
It May Sound Extreme, but Be Prepared Now!
I don't want to come off as extreme or alarmist. I think this will all blow over in weeks or months and life will get back to normal. In the meantime, I would much rather be prepared ahead of time instead of scrambling to provide for my family!
Consider your situation and make sure you are ready for an extended time in your home! Also make sure you have some good books or other things to keep you busy while you should be "working!"