One of the main reasons to get a pop-up camper from Coleman or any other major camper manufacturer is that they’re much lighter than traditional camper trailers. But how much does a Coleman pop-up camper weigh anyways?
Just knowing that your pop-up camper is “light” isn’t enough. Before you try to tow a pop-up camper, you need to know exactly what it weighs to start towing.
How much does a Coleman pop-up camper weigh? The answer depends on a couple of different factors, but maybe not the ones you’re expecting.
The year your pop-up camper was made may be the most important thing to consider when figuring out how much your Coleman trailer weighs.
Let’s take a closer look at how much a Coleman pop-up camper weighs based on year.
How Much Does a Coleman Pop-up Camper Weigh?
You might be surprised to find out that how much your Coleman pop-up camper weighs depends on when it was made. Over the decades that Coleman has been making campers, the company has slowly increased the size and weight of its models.
Modern Coleman pop-up campers (from the mid-2000s on) can weigh anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000 pounds. The largest models in Coleman’s lineup weigh in at close to 3,000 pounds.
In fact, Coleman makes some 16-foot models that are close to 4,000 pounds.
Coleman pop-up campers from the 1970s and 1980s typically weigh no more than 1,400 pounds.
In 1980, nearly all of Coleman’s different pop-up camper models weighed between 1150 and 1360 pounds, despite having such different configurations.
Some smaller models from this period weigh as little as 610 pounds – less than half the weight of Coleman’s modern small pop-up campers.
These weights are what you can expect before you add stuff into your camper. If you have one or two mattresses, kitchen supplies, a propane tank, and a full storage compartment, your trailer could be a lot heavier.
Modern campers can take on an additional 600 to 800 pounds when fully loaded with supplies for a big road trip. Older campers don’t have as much storage space, so they tend to take on only around 200 to 400 pounds when loaded.
Thankfully, there’s an easy way to find out exactly what your Coleman pop-up camper weighs. Coleman keeps information about all of the camper models the company has produced going back to 1967.
Just visit this page, choose the year your pop-up camper model was manufactured, and look for the listed weight of your camper in the table near the end of the booklet.
What Determines the Weight of a Pop-up Camper?
You might think that the weight of a Coleman pop-up camper is mostly determined by the walls, wheels, and towing apparatus.
In fact, the camper structure itself is the lightest part of your trailer. Most of the weight comes from everything inside the pop-up camper.
If you have a kitchen inside your pop-up camper, that entails installing a kitchen sink, cabinetry, a refrigerator, and more.
A pop up camper bathroom adds even more weight – a toilet alone can weigh upwards of 50 pounds, and every gallon of water you store inside your camper adds another eight pounds.
All of these amenities can quickly add up and exceed the base weight of your pop-up camper.
Why Have Pop-up Campers Gotten Heavier?
Coleman pop-up campers have gotten heavier over the past several decades. Roads haven’t changed, so how is it possible that Coleman’s pop-up camper models have doubled or even tripled in weight?
One of the big differences between now and 40 years ago is that car engines are simply more powerful. Any modern pickup truck or SUV can tow thousands of pounds, so Coleman and other camper manufacturers aren’t as constrained by what users’ vehicles can handle.
As a result, campers have gotten longer. Coleman’s smallest model in 2009 was eight feet long, and most were 10 to 12 feet in length.
The majority of Coleman’s models in 1980 were nine feet long, and smaller models were just seven feet.
With that extra length came the ability to put in more furnishings and amenities. Few pop-up campers from decades past included bathrooms, and many didn’t have space for a second bedframe and mattress.
Now, it’s hard to find a Coleman pop-up camper that doesn’t have two bed spaces, a spacious kitchen, and a dining area.
All those furnishings add a lot of weight. That’s why modern Coleman campers typically weigh 1,500 pounds or more.
Pop-up Camper Weight
It’s important to know how much your Coleman pop-up camper weighs before you start towing. The best way to estimate your camper’s weight is by looking at the year it was manufactured.If it was from the 1970s or 1980s, it’s probably around 1,000 pounds unloaded. If it’s from the 2000s, it likely weighs closer to 2,000 pounds before loading.
- UPF 50+ & Water Repellent: The silver coated tent surface reflects sunlight to block up to 98% of the harmful UV rays, protecting the user from the unexpected burning sun. Made of water-repellent...
- Spacious Space & Portability: The tent is 47.2" L x 47.2" W x 74.8" H when open, providing a spacious interior shelter that comfortably fits 1 person. Weighing just 4.8 lbs, it can be folded into a...
- Upgraded Version: Compared to an ordinary shower tent, this one is specially designed with an additional rain fly attached on the top to prevent the light rain; 1 removable bottom mat to keep you...
- Pop Up & Easier Access: Automatically pops up in seconds, no assembly required. Fold up this lightweight tent effortlessly and compactly into the carrying bag, which is extremely convenient to carry...
- UV Protection & Water-repellent: The waterproof polyester fabric in black with silver coating keeps the inner shelter dry and protects you from 98% of the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays....
- Premium Construction: Made with high-quality, waterproof taffeta 190T nylon polyester and flexible steel for durability, this tent withstands the elements for reliable and repeated use. The frame is...
- Quick set up with compression hub and pre threaded telescoping poles (see video); Large dual zippered D-shapped door; Umbrella rated 800mm PU coated for wet weather
- Floor can be clipped up or down for use; Towel strap, amenities pockets, and shelf for solar shower ( shower bag not included); 2 zippered mesh rooftop windows
- Open size 5' w x 5' d x 6.75' h; Packed size 41" x 7.3"; Weight 14.6 lbs